This is a guest post from Carol Wilson.
There’s no doubt about it; LinkedIn is one of the greatest career and business development programs on the Internet today. Since its humble launch in 2002, the site has grown to be the world’s largest professional network on the Internet. It now has more than 175 million members in over 200 countries, and more than 2 million companies have created profiles to market and recruit their brands to LinkedIn members. These numbers not only show the site’s popularity; they also mirror the success that people have had using the network.
To help members create contacts and find job and business opportunities, the website provides an array of tools and features that work to enhance their experience. There are numerous success stories associated with these tools and features; all of which you can read about in the site’s “About Us” section. By using the following eight services, you too can find success for your career or business.
- LinkedIn Company Pages: With a company page, you can introduce your business to every member of the LinkedIn network. As explained by the website, companies can use this feature to tell their business’ story, highlight their services or products, engage with those who are following the page and post available career opportunities. And with the analytics tool, you can keep track of who is viewing your company’s page and what content they viewed.
- LinkedIn Answers: This is a tool that helps members share their business knowledge. Whether you have a question or know the answer to a question, Answers is a place to create a conversation with other professionals in your field, helping you widen your network and showcase your expertise.
- LinkedIn Premier Account: There are three types of account upgrades: Business, Business Plus and Executive. Depending on the upgrade type, you will be given access to various additional tools and features that are not available for basic members. Although premier accounts come with a monthly fee, job search and networking results are promised to be better and easier to produce than with a basic account.
- LinkedIn Status Updates: Much like a Facebook status, a LinkedIn status allows you to share information with all of your connections. Whether you are looking for a new job or a new business partner, if you are connected to the right people, your status update can help you easily find that new job or partner.
- LinkedIn Share Button: By including a share button your business’ webpage, you will encourage site visitors to share your business with their LinkedIn connections. This could potentially increase your visibility and market by the hundreds with just one simple click.
- LinkedIn Recommendations: This feature allows your colleagues and clients to “recommend” you to potential future employers or clients, providing a record that backs up your resume. These recommendations show on your profile, allowing viewers to easily confirm past and current employment or work projects.
- LinkedIn Groups: Create your own professional group or join existing groups. This tool is one of the easiest ways to connect with other members. Search for people from your past (school alumni or former colleagues) or connect with other professionals in your line of work.
- International Network: Because LinkedIn operates in more than 200 countries, you can use the service to find employment worldwide, connect with professionals in other regions or market your business across the globe. Because LinkedIn is a networking site that is based on professionalism and accreditation, connecting with others on an international level is made much easier and credible.
These eight tools and services represent just a slice of the total LinkedIn experience. For more information about what this professional networking site can do for you, visit LinkedIn.com.
Carol Wilson works as a freelance blogger for various websites, covering everything from business advice to finance to career tips. She currently contributes much of her work to the online business insurance resource, www.BusinessInsurance.org. Feel free to contact Carol with any questions or comments at Wilson.Carol24@gmail.com.